Marble: Update moon landing sites to include Chang'e 3 mission
completed by: Illya Kovalevskyy
mentors: Torsten Rahn, René Küttner, Dennis Nienhüser
During the last weekend the chinese Chang'e 3 mission successfully landed on the moon:
Marble's source code has a file moonlandingsites.kml that lists all unmanned and manned moon landings inside the source folder
This task is about updating the file to match the recent moon landings. This task includes:
- Check the KML file for moon landings (this includes controlled crashes) that still need to be included.
- Update the KML file to include the correct entry for the Chang'e 3 mission. Check the wikipedia article for the proper position on the moon.
- Make sure you use the correct icon which is indicated by the placemark role: There are different symbols depending on whether the mission is manned, unmanned or a (controlled) crash/impact.
- Test the updated kml file by running Marble with the default Moon map theme. Make sure that the position matches the Sinus/Mare Imbrium position indicated in the Wikipedia entry via the white arrow pointing to the landing site. Sinus and Mare Imbrium are labeled in Marble and are pretty distinct features which makes this relatively easy if you try.
- Update the matching cache file.
- Commit the files for review