Create and register an API file for a community from Cyprus to the FOSSASIA Community Network
completed by: Tymon Radzik
mentors: Andreas Bräu
Please add local communities in Cyprus to the FOSSASIA network through our FOSSASIA-API. Find out websites, RSS feeds, blogs, twitter, Google+ and Facebook and add the info to FOSSASIA.net.
- Github account
The FOSSASIA.net project is an initiative to bring the Asian Free and Open Source Software and OpenTech community together and foster cooperation. We make it easy to find communities and projects on a map with links to the websites, social media channels, and automatically updated info from community blogs. The use of the FOSSASIA-API enables us to collect the data of communities in a decentralized way. This is important to us, as it keeps communities in control. They do not depend on our infrastructure and could potentially setup their own service.
Step by Step
Step by Step from API Generator to the your community listing on FOSSASIA.net.
1. Go to http://fossasia.net/api/generator/index.html and fill in the information about your community in the form and press "OK - generate...". Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk. The more information you enter, the better.
2. Your results are displayed on the top right hand side (scroll up after you finished 1). If information is missing or fields are incorrectly filled, you will see it marked under the text box. Fill in or correct the information and generate the API file again.
3. Save the content of the text box to a text file on your computer or press the download button.
4. Now upload the file 3. to the Internet on to your own web space, to your blog, CMS or to your own github service. It is important that the file can be accessed publicly on the Internet.
5. Please copy the link to your web hosted “raw file”, the URL.
6. Add the link (URL) of your “raw file” to the FOSSASIA API directory here: github.com/fossasia/directory.api.fossasia.net/blob/master/directory.json. (You need a github account to do this).
a) If you are comfortable with Git, create a pull request.
b) If you are new to Git and not sure how to do it, please just tweet the link to your API file to twitter.com/fossasia, e.g. a tweet that looks like that “@fossasia Uploaded API-file to add #Beijinglug community to #FOSSASIA network here http://fossasia-api-file-directory.org/api-file” It is important that you include “@fossasia” in your tweet to make sure we get your message.
7. You community will be included in the FOSSASIA network as soon as a team member has reviewed it (usually within 1-2 days).
8. For Updating your info, please note: If you want to update your information, please download or edit your API file. You can do so after the entering the API directory, in the drop-down menu on the top right. Then repeat step 1 to 7. So, the new file needs to be saved or downloaded again. And, then do not forget to upload the new raw file to the Web server, blog or git service again.
FOSSASIA.net Blog Post http://blog.fossasia.org/join-fossasia-community-network