Create a simple GUI application in python for converting units of mass/weight
completed by: Ashutosh
mentors: Mario Behling, Praveen Patil, Hong Phuc
Unit Conversion Tools
Unit conversions are an important part of scientific calculations. Without knowing these conversions our understanding of science would be severely limited. Even if science/math is not a chosen field of study, the average citizen can also benefit from knowing these conversions.
The units that most people from the United States are familiar with are the English Units. For instance, you know that a football field is 100 yards long, or that the speed limit on the highway is 65 miles per hour. Most people from other countries however, are not familiar with the English System, instead they know the Metric System.Therefore unit conversion tools have become a necessity in our day-to-day life.
Learning Objective of the Task
To learn GUI programming with python and contribute to world of FOSS and Science Education with easy to use applications.
Details of the Task
Create a simple GUI application in python for converting unit of 'Mass' from one system of units to another. For example pound to kilogram, atomic mass unit to kilogram etc...
You can use python GUI tools like Tkinter, GTK or wxPython.
In the application one should be able to easily convert mass/weight measurements such as kilogram to pound or atomic mass unit.
User should select units for conversion (To and From) and enter the value of mass and click on convert button to get the converted value.
(Its for Temperature)
Share your Learning Experience
During the process of working on this task and/or when you finish it,
- Please tweet about it mentioning @fossasia and using the hashtag #FOSSASIA
- Also don't forget to follow FOSSASIA on http://twitter.com/fossasia
- Also please provide links and info about the task on a blog or website, if possible.
- Please post your work on the FOSSASIA Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/<wbr/>fossasia
Some useful links
- Mass : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_units#Mass
- Example Tool : http://www.unit-conversion.info/weight.html
- Python GUI Programming : https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
- GUI in python : http://sebsauvage.net/python/gui/