Web Page: http://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc2009/ideas
Mailing List: http://www.freelists.org/list/haiku
We are a project dedicated to the creation of a new open source operating system designed from the ground up for desktop computing called Haiku. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a personal computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and free of any unnecessary complexities. Haiku is supported by Haiku Inc., a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization founded with the purpose of promoting our project.
- Implementing ZeroConf support for Haiku with mDNSResponder Haiku is an operating system concentrating on user experiences. But at this time Haiku doesn't have a ZeroConf system, which simplifies the use of the computer networks. I want to port an existing ZeroConf implementation to haiku. And related applications like configuration tools and so forth will also be implemented.
- Integrate WebKit in Haiku native browser The goal of this project is to integrate WebKit into the Haiku native browser. This will be done using WebKit as HTML render and BeOS Interface classes. Then we will provide a BHTMLView library based on the work done on the native browser which can be use in any parts of Haiku. There will also have some documentation on it.
- Internationalization support for Haiku As an operating system oriented towards users, it feels strange that Haiku has no support for internationalization and is only available in english. The goal of this project is to add a Locale Kit to the system, allowing all the bundled applications, tools and preflets to be translated to the correct language at runtime. The translation should be made simple with the use of a graphical tool, and the user should be able to select his language easily when installing the system, then switch to another one at runtime.
- Port Haiku to ARM architecture Port the Haiku Kernel and some device drivers to the ARM architecture, so that it can boot and use at least the serial console and the sd-card on a beagleboard. To fulfill this task a generic boot loader that uses u-boot (this would also help for porting to other architectures) must be written and the kernel be ported.
- Update DriveSetup/Disk_Device Complete the implementation of the Disk_Device API in order to create a more functional DriveSetup application.