OSGeo - Open Source Geospatial Foundationbusiness
Web Page: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009_Ideas
Mailing List: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
OSGeo is an incorporated not-for-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community in general and 16 projects in particular:
Web Mapping: deegree, Mapbender, MapBuilder, MapGuide Open Source, MapServer, OpenLayers
Desktop Applications: GRASS GIS, OSSIM, Quantum GIS, gvSIG
Geospatial Libraries: FDO, GDAL/OGR, GEOS, GeoTools, MetaCRS
Metadata Catalog: GeoNetwork
Other Projects: Public Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum
- An AJAX interface for Mapbender administration Implementing a new web-based userinterface for the administration of Mapbender.
- CSW Client for Mapbender Mapbender-Catalog Service for Web Client (Mapbender-CSWC) is a client application to simplify the access and retrieval of metadata from Catalog servers on the web. It provides the user with interfaces for querying CSW servers via a set of fields to effectively and easily filter, select, retrieve and view various catalogs, whilst also allowing for advanced querying.
- GeoXACML-Integration The OGC GeoXACML specification describes a standard for access control for geospatial data. GeoXACML is an extension to the OASIS XACML standard. A full compliant GeoXACML implementation should be integrated into the geotools/geoserver project. Geoserver should be able to work as GeoXACML Policy Decision Point for other systems and use this module for its own access control. A short introduction is here: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GeoXACML-Integration
- Getting time into the GIS for visualization and modeling puposes: netcdf support in uDig The GIS, as both a modeling and publication enviroment, seems to be a mandatory framework to support visualization and modelling of timedependent datasets. This project proposes to: - implement the netcdf-cf support in the uDig/JGrass GIS - create a time navigation GUI part for visualization and consultation of timedependent data - creation and implementation in uDig/JGrass of the netcdf-cf writing drivers
- GRASS - Network Analysis The goal of this project is to further develop vector network analysis in GRASS. This would involve computation of many centrality measures(degree, closeness, betweeness, eigenvalue…), requested v.net.distance module, time tables integrated into routing, various algorithms such max flows, min cuts, weakly and strongly connected components, minimum spanning trees, all pairs shortest paths, k-connectivity, articulation points, bridges, etc.
- gvSIG client for symbology definitions via Web Services This project aims to develop a client-server communication for Symbol definitions' exchange. For that, gvsig symbology module for style editing will be extended. On the server side, a social-network application will interact with the user to upload symbologies. Then, the client will ask for them based on their tags. The code could also be used by other projects completely, by only changing the GUI module.
- JTIN v2: database backed, multi-resolution triangulated irregular network for Java GIS Expand the JTIN module within OpenJUMP to support extra large TINs by developing a stream oriented tringulator and storing the resulting TIN within a spatial database in a multi-resolution format.
- Label placement for Quantum GIS Quantum GIS has currently only limited functionality for labeling of vector layers. It lacks detection of collisions of labels and other features that are necessary for serious GIS work. This proposal discusses the weak spots and suggests solutions that might be developed as a Summer of Code project.
- MapServer Output Support for KML Design and implementation of an output driver in MapServer to generate KML 2.2 output for use with Google Earth
- MapServer- Support for reading SVG symbols Currently the developers have been using the vector symbols concept for symbol generation in MapServer for which there are some disadvantages.The main aim of the project is to add support for SVG as an alternate method to define vector symbols in a MapServer symbolset. .The usage of SVG helps MapServer symbolset to be defined in a more easier way
- OpenRouter Network builder. Openrouter network builder is the independent application where from a specific spatial database (*.shp) necessary files will be generated which will work as input of open router library. Beside this there will be some input data for openrouter network builder for directed graph generation, avoiding turn restrictions and street type (avoid highways).Using this file as inout the library will generate paths.
- OssimPlanet integration in Grass and Qgis Develop a plug-in for the ossimPlanet application for interface with other Open Source G.I.S software such as Grass and Qgis. This will allow export of elevation data from grass to OssimPlanet and add the ability to load Grass data (both raster and vector) in Ossim. The end result will be to synchronize the grass maps canvas extent with the Ossimplanet scene.
- PostGIS / WKT Raster driver Implementation of a limited read-only GDAL driver for the coming WKT Raster extension to PostGIS. The idea is to create a prototype, a proof of concept to allow further development
- Spatialytics – GeoReport – CDF integration The idea is to integrate in a single application GeoReport and Spatialytics in PentahoBI platform using CDF extenstion in order to setting and creating GeoDashboards as easy as possible both for spatially navigating (multidimentional) cubes and for displaying charts, diagrams, indicators directly from the map click, depending on user needs!
- v.autokrige: Python porting and wxPython GUI addition As GRASS presently lacks kriging capability, it is performed via an add-on, v.autokrige, that delegates analysis to R (package automap). This module is written in bash and has the classical autogenerated GUI. The project aims to rewrite the module in Python, creating a new GUI in wxPython that allows the user to refine parameters. I therefore plan to examinate present v.autokrige code and port it into Python, possibly improving it at the same time, and add a wxPython GUI.
- Web Map Tiles for uDig When using GIS software like uDig you often need detailed background layers for a better visualization of your spatial data. There are many free-to-use maps available, but actually it is hard to import this data in uDig. The aim of this project is to develop a plugin for uDig that makes it easy to integrate online-map-services (street/aerial) such as OpenStreetMap, Google Maps, Microsoft Virtual Earth or Yahoo! Maps into your GIS projects as raster data.
- WMS Tiling Cache support in gvSIG Proposal Implementation of WMS Tiling Cache support in gvSIG