Web Page: http://sulab.org/gsoc/
Mailing List: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/crowdbio
Our team develops new technologies and tools to enable large communities of scientists to collaboratively address biological challenges of massive scale. We are part of the the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, one of the largest non-profit research organizations devoted to biomedical research. We operate at the exciting intersection between biological and computational research.
All of our projects revolve around the theme of "crowdsourcing" -- directly engaging scientists to collaboratively achieve projects of massive scale. We currently have three project areas, each of which have plenty of room for GSoC contributors:
- Gene Wiki: comprehensively organize knowledge of all human genes
- BioGPS: provide a gene annotation portal for aggregating gene-centric online content
- Biological games: build games that build scientific knowledge through game play
Students, please see our ideas page and visit our Google Group for more details!
NOTE: If you'd like to apply to be a mentor, please email us at email@example.com first with more details. Requests from people who haven't discussed it with us beforehand will be rejected.
- A Scalable and Efficient Storage System of GeneLists and Enrichment Score Computation I plan to create a fully operational REST interface which should map directly to CRUD operations which act on a database of gene lists. The RESTful application will be written in python, and interact directly with a MongoDB store which contains a collection of all gene lists. A computation engine will be created to calculate statistical enrichment using an all to all comparison of gene lists. By accomplishing this project, users will have an alternate method to discovering similar genes to ones they are interested in.
- BioGPS:JQuery-based BioGPS gene-report layout canvas My main aim is improving the Front end for improved User Interaction. What the project demands is an "Interactive jQuery based canvas" part of the site, people have more places to contribute, and engage people when they are benefiting from the site. The following application is an abstract of what I want to implement and hence propose the same.
- Web annotation interface My name is Maximilian Ludvigsson. This project is a web interface for letting users annotate information on the various plugins in BioGPS.