License: Academic Free License 3.0 (AFL 3.0)
Web Page: https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/Projects
Mailing List: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/soc-coordination
The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system. The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly free community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of the largest and most influential open source projects. Thousands of volunteers from all over the world work together to create and maintain Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and supporting a huge range of computer types, Debian calls itself the "universal operating system".
- AppStream/DEP-11 for the Debian Archive The link of the proposal is given below as per instruction. https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/StudentApplications/AbhishekBhattacharjee
- Bootstrappable Debian Adapt the build of about 60 Debian packages, adding new build profiles for limited-feature builds with fewer dependencies. Test the resulting package set for linear buildability without dependency cycles. Submit the modifications as patches to the Debian packages using the Debian Bug Tracking System and discuss them with the corresponding package maintainers, making additional changes as needed.
- Debian built with clang See link to Debian Wiki
- Debian Clang Rebuild the Debian archive with the clang compiler.
- Debian Continuous Integration The objective of this proposal is to improve the quality of the packages present in Debian, by identifying possible improvements using debci.
- Debian Continuous Integration - Web Interface Improvements This project will improve the web user interface of debci, add multi-arch and suite support, and provide more useful information for package maintainers (failing dependencies, etc.). The web user interface will also provide searching of tested packages by architecture (ARM, i386, amd64) and suite (Debian stable, unstable, testing). This would help package maintainers understand what is causing a package to fail testing and would help to improve the quality of Debian packages.
- Debian Metrics Portal See link to Debian Wiki
- Get Muon ready Bringing to Debian the Muon software suite.
- Improve Configuration Upgrade Mechanism with Elektra My proposal is to implement the Elektra framework in order to automatically merge changes in configuration files when upgrading packages in Debian. Currently when a package is update, grub for instance, the user is forced to decide whether to overwrite or keep their configuration, while the default configuration may have changed significantly or they must merge the configuration by hand. At the end of this summer, by implementing this framework, users would not have to face this scenario.
- Improve Debian port on mips/mipsel I would like to improve the Debian port for mips/mipsel by compiling the packages that do not pass the compilation process. Some of the packages might not support one of the endians (even if they compile fine, they won't work properly).During the working process, I will try to fix even those packages if possible.
- Improve Debian port on mipsel Build Debian packages for mipsel port in order to improve it.
- Integrate Debian with Android Lil' Debi provides the power of Debian on the Android Phone, it allows a user to setup Debian chroot container. The key missing part of the project is to Integrate the effective booting of Debian and Android, after which Debian can start the process/services required by Android and they will work together. There are other features which need to be implemented like support for yaffs2, installing under /data partition, creating Debian using debootstrap, support for Ubuntu, etc.
- ListArchive mhonarc replacement for lists.debian.org
- Package elementary software Package elementary's Pantheon shell, GUI framework (Granite), applications, icon theme, and gtk theme.
- Provide some metrics in Debile debile is a platform which aims to provide a generic rebuild platform. Normal build, custom builds (clang based) or static analyzers (coccinelle, scan-build, etc) are managed through this infrastructure. This project aims to provide metrics for the packages being build by debile, with graphical visualizations.
- Recursively Building Java Project Dependencies A maven plugin for determining and building dependencies of java applications.
- WebRTC portal for the Debian community Enhance the Debian WebRTC experience, specifically by adding audio/video conference functionality, IM service, and a shared phonebook for the Debian community.